Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Am I truly that dumb?


I am going to share my biggest internal struggle. Am I really smart or is it some sort of grandiose disorder of my mind? To answer that, it is important to mention why I think I am smart. I think I am smart because I “get” things. I do not have to be explained in great detail to understand something. Now this something is usually a practical task. Or usually a hands on activity. But on the other hand when it comes to understanding and applying mathematical or physical sciences, I lack any sort of skill. I cannot comprehend numbers. It is almost like a paranoia of numbers. I am not a good test taker either. But ask me to talk about or explain something and I can do it with great finesse. So, Am I a smart mind trapped in a dumb brain? Mind is considered the software whereas the brain is the hardware according to Psychology. My mind absorbs and stores a tonne of information. A tonne of useless information sometimes (sigh). But when it comes to generating this information or processing and applying it, the connection between the mind and the brain is a little off. Imagine an hour glass if you will. The transfer of sand between the top and bottom end is through a very narrow opening. That is apparently how information is retrieved from the depths of the mind.

One of the things I have tried to make myself smarter are Brain test games. I bought 4 brain puzzle books from Indigo (bookstore) for $10 each. Great Bargain. Except they are boring as hell and full of numbers. Screw brain tests. They apparently don’t even work anyway! According to The Brain Test Britain study done by BBC Lab UK, Brain tests do not make a person smart at all! But whoever takes that test many times, gets better at that specific test.

So now what? Well, I think profs should hand over the test questions before the test and whoever practices it a bunch of times, gets an A. Fair eh? Except, knowing that humans are lazy suckers, some students (me inclusive) will score average anyway.

So am I dumb because I am lazy? Are people dumb because they are too lazy to reach their potential? Is there any such thing as smart people?

Here is another question I will leave you all with:  Does a great a memory reflect a smart mind? Will your “sharp” memory equal to an “intelligent mind”?


Children, Allah has given us a brain and has encouraged us to gain “ilm” or knowledge.  Are we honestly living up to our potential or is it Satan (shaitaan) giving us a false sense of security by telling our minds we don’t need to work to improve our intelligence? Is it just us with our false beliefs that mediocrity of mind is ok or is it the Satan hindering our momentum to be smarter and more intelligent?

Go in search of knowledge even if it takes you to China innit?


The Hijabist

No comments:

Post a Comment